Monday 27 August 2012

Marché Couvert - Colmar

This indoor market is full of seasonal produce that is all grown locally. A verity of things are sold here, from flowers to vegetables. Back when my tonton was a young boy this was also a market. It was slightly different than it is today, there would also be more livestock and more locals selling and trading amongst each other.

Though it is a shame about the new layout their is no parking close to it, so it only the tourist and maybe locals of the town that shop there. If they had thought about parking when the renovated, it would be much more popular and more locals would go and this would also increase the local market. As here in Alsace everyone looks out for each other.


The ironic part of the building is that for several years between it being a market the building had been used for several other uses, one of them being a carpark.




Inside its all clean and full of colour. Being the end of summer all the summer fruit and veg are now being replaced by the autumn ones. Melons, peaches, plums, and even mirabelle are still being sold.




I can't get enough of these.

Mirabelles are one of my favourite fruit when I am back in Alsace. They are so versatile just like any other fruit. The small and golden little plums are delicious in a tarte, but also in a jam. This year I got spoilt as my tonton made me a large quantity of home made jam. I usually get one or to small pots that I ration over the year.


Locally made cheese










They also sell some of the local specialities pastries, some pretzels, moricettes and even mini kugelhopf. When I'm here I realise that the type of pretzels that we find at home can not even compete these ones. 


Over the weekend I went to a family reunion and found out the one of my mum's cousins is known in the family for making a kugelhopf. So next year when I'm back, we have arranged for her to teach me her wonderful baking skills.

I'm already looking forward to it. 
Bon Appétit   


No comments:

Post a Comment